How do you get to Kilimanjaro?
To get to Kilimanjaro you need to fly to Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA): CODE (IATA: JRO, ICAO: HTKJ) which is served daily by many airlines. The closest major cities to Kilimanjaro National Park are the city of Arusha and the town of Moshi. Depending on where you are traveling from, you can usually fly direct to Kilimanjaro Airport (JRO) via the Gulf (Qatar airlines, Emirates) or via Europe (KLM). Follow this link for flight option: Kilimanjaro Flight Options
Alternatively, you can fly into Tanzania’s capital, Dar-Es-Salaam (DAR), for a short internal flight to (JRO), or to Kenya’s Jomo Kenyatta International (NBO) airport for a connection to JRO (Kenya Airways, Precision Air).
One of the best way to find cheap flights to Kilimanjaro International Airport is by flying into Nairobi Kenya. It’s also possible to travel by road from Kenya after flying in there. There are numerous bus and shuttle options to take you to Moshi town or the city of Arusha , though the roads can be quite rough at times; you might consider this if you’re feeling adventurous, trying to save money and have sufficient time.
Where to fly to climb Kilimanjaro – International Flights to Kilimanjaro
If you want To get to Kilimanjaro you need to fly to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO). The airport is situated south-west of Mount Kilimanjaro National Park. Below we have listed airlines that fly directly to Kilimanjaro airport (JRO).
- KLM: Direct flights from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro airport
- Condor Air : Direct flights from Frankfurt to Kilimanjaro airport
- Turkish Airlines: Direct flights from Istanbul to Kilimanjaro airport
- Kenya Airways: Direct flights from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro airport
- Precision Air: Direct flights from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro airport
- Qatar Airlines: Direct flights from Doha to Kilimanjaro airport
- Ethiopian Airlines: Direct flights from Addis Ababa to Kilimanjaro airport
- RwandAir: Direct flights from Kigali to Kilimanjaro airport
If you are unable find direct flights to Kilimanjaro airport, you can fly to Kilimanjaro airport via Dar Es Salaam or Nairobi (Kenya). Mount Kilimanjaro is much closer to Nairobi than it is from Dar Es Salaam. Nairobi receives a lot more air traffic than Kilimanjaro Airport, making it have competitive prices.
Best way to fly to Kilimanjaro from us, Europe and UK
For climbers in US, Europe and the UK, the easiest thing to do is to fly from a major local airport hub near your location to Amsterdam (most major airports in US, Europe and the UK have flights to Amsterdam), and then catch the KLM Airlines to JRO connecting flight.
Domestic flights within Tanzania and Kilimanjaro airport ( JRO )
The following airlines offer domestic flights within Tanzania region:
- Precision Air
- Regional Air
- Fast jet
- Zan Air
- Coastal Aviation
- Air Excel
Bus transfers from Nairobi
For a supplementary charge we can help you arrange private transportation or shuttle bus transfers to Moshi or Arusha from Nairobi, and vice versa.
Although the bus departs from Nairobi’s Park side Hotel, we arrange to fetch our clients from certain hotels in the Nairobi city center, at the Nairobi airport, and we do not charge extra for this service. In Arusha or Moshi town, pick up or drop off can be arranged to most hotels in the city center area.
|Nairobi to Arusha||Daily||08:00||14:00|
|Nairobi to Arusha||Daily||14:00||18:30|
|Nairobi to Moshi||Daily||08:00||15:30|
|Moshi to Nairobi||Daily||06:00||14:00|
|Arusha to Nairobi||Daily||08:00||14:00|
|Moshi to Nairobi||Daily||10:30||18:30|
|Arusha to Nairobi||Daily||14:00||18:30|
It is possible to arrange private transfers to Arusha or Moshi from Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam or Mombasa and vice versa, at extra cost.
Where do the Mount Kilimanjaro Climbs Begin?
The Tanzanian town of Moshi and the city of Arusha are the main starting points for any Kilimanjaro adventure. Bustling with activity, most tour operators have their base in one of these places, and there are plenty of good accommodation options, restaurants, shops, and markets. You can also read more about where is Mt Kilimanjaro
The town of Moshi is closer to the Kilimanjaro international airport (JRO), about 40 minutes by road ( 45 Kilometers ), where the city of Arusha is around 90 minutes (70 Kilometers )
Other Considerations For Mount Kilimanjaro Travel
- We highly recommend checking your Visa & Passport requirements well in advance of your booking, including any visa requirements for transit countries.
- Make sure you are up to date with vaccinations, including Yellow Fever, particularly if you have a layover in a country at risk (eg. Kenya)
- We recommend arriving a couple of days ahead of your climb. This allows for any unexpected delays and gives you an opportunity to be properly rested before the start of your climb.
We’re here to help. We can help you plan your travel itinerary, book local options and any questions you’ve got!